Ncell is the Nepal’s leading telecom operator beside government owned Nepal Telecom. Ncell was founded in 2004 AD and after that it have been continuously proving telecom services through out the country. Despite the controversy it gathers, it have been a most successful company in telecom history. It has growth its revenue more and more along with maintaining quality of service.
Journey starts from back to 2004 A.D. In that time there was only one big telecom operator as Nepal telecom. Nepal Telecom has provided service for PSTN and GSM service from the very moment. In that time, investing in telecom and competing with governmental organization was a huge risk. However, they managed to grow their service, build a quality network and within 15 years, it have been a leading telecom operators providing mobile communication in 2G, and latest 4G. Moreover it has also providing FTTH (Fiber to the Home) internet services to the enterprise customer and are expanding their services.
Let’s crack this Ncell history in Timeline:
- Spice Nepal Private Ltd. was established in 2004 as the first private mobile operator in Nepal . They launched their commercial services on September 17,2005 in Kathmandu under brand name Mero Mobile.
- In October 2008, TeliaSonera acquired controlling interest in the company. TeliaSonera is a Swedish dominant telephone company and mobile network operator present in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
- After the acquisition, Spice Nepal was renamed as Ncell in 12 March 2010 and Telesoneria company invested around 1 Billion dollar for improvement and coverage of the network.
- By 2010, Ncell have reached in all regions of Nepal and by late 2010, it had launched 3G services.
- During that time, Ncell have also layout the east-west fiber link connectivity which is needed to handle the data and voice traffic across the country.
- On 21 December 2015, TeliaSonera announced its exit from Ncell, selling its 60.4 percent of the shares to Malaysian telecommunications group Axiata.
- On June 1, 2018, the company launched its 4G/LTE service in Kathmandu Valley,including Nagarkot, Banepa and Dhulikhel of Kavrepalanchowk district.
- By June 2019, Ncell have expanded its 4G/LTE services to 45 places of Nepal and are continuing.